I know its been a while but here in May I did my first talk this year. Actually I havent done a presentation in front of a larger crew for more than 5 years or so. So I was a bit rusty – but it was a great kick and a lot of fun!
It was a meetup around Resilient Architectures and I had a talk about “War Stories from the deployment trenches“. My presentation was divided into multiple subjects:
- History around delpoyment mechanisms through time and why/how it have developed
- Key findings
- Building PEREs new platform
- Immutable Infrastructures & Continues Deployments (CD)
- Demo simple immutable strategy and deployment
Everything went fine (also the demo!= and it was ag great meetup with people having a lot of questions and wanted to discuss afterwards.
You can see the full presentation HERE.
But my simple keyfinding and recommendations are these:
- Use General Agile principels in your organization
- Do not optimize prematurely (“Premature optimization is the root of all evil” (Donald Knuth)
- Avoid complexity – KISS –
- Version everything!
- Use Deployment as Code
- Go immutable with your infrastructure
- Commit Often, Push once
- F*ck it, ship it! – use feature enables if possible
- Have monitoring and KPIs on everything on your platform
- Tune it!
I was really fun talking about this subject and i have the gut feeling that I am going to have more presentations around this subject in the near future. I will for sure do more presentations this year.
The meetup and notes can be found here:
-All the best!