I know its been a while but here in May I did my first talk this year. Actually I havent done a presentation in front of a larger crew for more than 5 years or so. So I was a bit rusty – but it was a great kick and a lot of fun!
It was a meetup around Resilient Architectures and I had a talk about “War Stories from the deployment trenches“. My presentation was divided into multiple subjects:
- History around delpoyment mechanisms through time and why/how it have developed
- Key findings
- Building PEREs new platform
- Immutable Infrastructures & Continues Deployments (CD)
- Demo simple immutable strategy and deployment
Everything went fine (also the demo!= and it was ag great meetup with people having a lot of questions and wanted to discuss afterwards.
You can see the full presentation HERE.
But my simple keyfinding and recommendations are these:
- Use General Agile principels in your organization
- Do not optimize prematurely (“Premature optimization is the root of all evil” (Donald Knuth)
- Avoid complexity – KISS –
- Version everything!
- Use Deployment as Code
- Go immutable with your infrastructure
- Commit Often, Push once
- F*ck it, ship it! – use feature enables if possible
- Have monitoring and KPIs on everything on your platform
- Tune it!
I was really fun talking about this subject and i have the gut feeling that I am going to have more presentations around this subject in the near future. I will for sure do more presentations this year.
The meetup and notes can be found here:
-All the best!
So we have entered 2019 – and happy new year!
Every year I set myself new goals. and this year will be the same. My goals are everything from personal development, technical skills, and others. Its related to my work (CTO in pere.com), my personal life and in general relations to others (friends etc.)
Here are my top 10 goals for 2019.
- Be more focused when with my kids. When I am off – I am off!
- Read more and read more often. I love to read but I am bad in finishing a book. So I will at least finish 5-8 good books this year (mainly business and tech books).
- Be more fit – improve my general lifestyle (eat better and stay in shape in fitness center + biking more)
- Even though I see my self as a person that is getting things done – I still feel I could be even more optimal here. More Getting Things Done (GTD) for all my projects this year.
- Work even more on my growth mindset. Writing and reading more will help me with that.
- Excel in leading people. Right now I feel that I am good in this – but I would like to become a master in this! – also reading, writing and having a lot of conversations will help here. I love the word leader, I hate the word manager and resource!
- Pursue more remote work – for my self and for my employees. Will be made default in 2019!
- Learn more and be even better in Data Analytics regarding startup businesses. Right now I have setup Grafana for metrics and KPIs, I would also like to setup Tableau for dynamic drill-down analytics etc.
- Even though I am quite robust in Amazon Web Services (AWS) – I would like to become an expert in AWS and many of their services there.
- Transform our web app into a PWA app – and learn to be better in optimizing it – with state management and caching/service workers.
I know that goals for a whole year are quite hard to do – like developing kanban style and doing a roadmap. Some might be realized and some might not due to new focus etc. But this is my roadmap for 2019!
Stay calm and focused out threre!